It Takes Two to Talk® — The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children with Language Delays
The It Takes Two to Talk Program is designed specifically for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay. In a small, personalized group setting, parents learn practical strategies to help their children learn language naturally throughout their day together.
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher. The program shows you how to:
- Recognize your child’s stage and style of communication so that you know which steps to take next
- Identify what motivates your child to interact with you so you’ll know how to get conversations started
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns and keep interactions going
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Add language to interactions with your child to help him understand language and then use it when he is ready
- Tweak the way you play and read books with your child to help him learn language
- Change the way you speak to your child so that he’ll understand and learn new words
- 6-8 training sessions for parents in small, personalized groups
- A Hanen Certified speech-language pathologist leading the program
- A pre-program consultation for you and your child with the speech-language pathologist
- Three individual visits for you and your child with the speech-language pathologist in which you are videotaped while practicing strategies to help your child achieve specific communication goals. You and the speech-language pathologist then watch the videotaped interaction to “see” what’s helping your child and what you can modify to help even more.
It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays is the guidebook you’ll use throughout the program to support your learning. This guidebook outlines all of the strategies covered in the program with very practical examples of what to say and do with your child to promote his language skills.
Parents who are waiting to attend a program may purchase the guidebook in advance to give their learning a head start and to gain some practical strategies that they can start using with their child right away.
Learn more about the It Takes Two to Talk guidebook.
Benefits of Taking the It Takes Two to Talk® Program
Practical strategies you can use in everyday situations
The It Takes Two to Talk Program shows you how to use your natural, day-to-day life with your child to help him develop language skills. You’ll discover simple things you can do during everyday activities like meal time, story time and bath time to create enjoyable learning opportunities for your child.
It Takes Two to Talk translates the research on early language intervention into concrete strategies that are easy for parents to understand and to put into practice. The program offers you many opportunities to practice and discuss each strategy you learn so that you’ll be comfortable and confident using them at home.
Here’s an example of an It Takes Two to Talk strategy that can be used during any activity to encourage your child to start conversations:
“OWL to Let Your Child Lead”
Research has shown that children learn language best when they are allowed to lead a conversation and communicate about what interests them. The OWL strategy will help you follow your child’s lead so that he’ll be more likely to stay in the interaction with you and get the practice and feedback he needs to build his communication skills.
An evidence-based and reputable program that’s worth your time
It Takes Two to Talk was developed by expert speech-language pathologists and is grounded in extensive research. This evidence-based program has been proven in clinical practice to have positive effects on the communication development of young children.
It Takes Two to Talk requires a significant time commitment from parents in order to ensure the best possible learning experience. Once you’ve completed the program, however, the strategies you’ve learned will become such a natural part of the way you interact with your child that you won’t even notice you’re using them. The commitment you put in now will pay off during every interaction you have with your child.
For a detailed research summary and empirical evidence, click on the link below:
The chance to connect with other parents
One of the greatest benefits of the It Takes Two to Talk Program is the opportunity it provides to connect with other parents in similar situations. You’ll have the chance to meet people who really understand what you’re feeling and gain valuable insight by listening to their own experiences using It Takes Two to Talk strategies with their child.
What parents say about the It Takes Two to Talk® Program...
The It Takes Two to Talk Program has empowered hundreds of parents around the world to play a key role in helping their child develop language skills. One parent told us:
“I have just completed It Takes Two to Talk. What a difference this has made to the quality of life for my little girl. She is more confident and will initiate a conversation and join in activities. Several weeks ago she would not have done so.”
- Patricia, mother of four-year-old Kelly
Another parent shares her experience in a video testimonial...
This text will be replaced
Selena explains how It Takes Two to Talk helped reduce frustration for her and Jason.
This text will be replaced
Selena describes a few of the techniques she learned that helped Jason communicate and led the way to more enjoyable interactions.
Finding an It Takes Two to Talk® Program
It Takes Two to Talk Programs are offered by Hanen Certified Speech-Language Pathologists all around the world. To find a program in your area, you can use this website to search for a Hanen Certified SLP or search for a Hanen Program.
Find a Hanen SLP
Find a Hanen Program