Teacher Talk™ Training Series for Early Childhood Educators/Teachers
To introduce early childhood educators to the Learning Language and Loving It™ approach, The Hanen Centre developed a flexible series of three 1-day trainings called Teacher Talk.
If you work in an early childhood setting, Teacher Talk can provide you with core strategies from the Learning Language and Loving It Program for Early Childhood Educators to help you create rich and stimulating language-learning environments for the young children you work with.
What You’ll Learn from Teacher Talk™
Delivered by Hanen-trained professionals who also offer the Learning Language and Loving It program, Teacher Talk is divided into three full-day training sessions:
►Teacher Talk™ Training A: Encouraging Language Development in Early Childhood Settings
This training will show you how to use everyday conversations, play and daily routines to promote the communication and social development of all children, including those with language delays and those who are second language learners.
You’ll learn how to:
- Identify children’s conversational styles and the role teachers play in interactions
- Implement six steps to following the child’s lead: Observe, Wait and Listen, Be Face to Face, Imitate, Interpret, Comment, and Join in and Play
- Help children become better conversation partners by using appropriate questions, comments and turn-taking cues
- Use five important steps to ensure that no child is left out of the interaction during group activities
►Teacher Talk™ Training B: Let Language Lead the Way to Literacy
This training will discuss the important links between oral language development and literacy, and provide you with practical strategies for paving the way for children to read and write.
You’ll learn how to encourage and support literacy development by:
- Helping children develop a positive attitude toward the use of print
- Choosing books that match children’s interests and stages of development
- Using book reading as a time for interaction and conversation
- Making print a natural and meaningful part of every day
►Teacher Talk™ Training C: Fostering Peer Interaction in Early Childhood Settings
This training will show you how to provide a physical and social environment that encourages peer interaction and creates many opportunities or successful interactions with other children.
You’ll learn how to encourage and support peer interaction by:
- Making the most effective use of space in the classroom
- Encouraging a variety of groupings for interaction
- Providing appropriate materials and activities
- Creating reasons for interaction and providing specific coaching
Teacher Talk Trainers may offer the training series flexibly. Training A may be offered on its own, or in combination with Training B and/or C, and the trainings do not have to be held on consecutive days. However, because Training A is a prerequisite for both Trainings B and C, all Teacher Talk participants must attend Training A before attending the other training sessions.
Bringing Teacher Talk™ to your organization
If your organization is interested in hosting Teacher Talk to train its staff, Hanen may be able to send a Teacher Talk Trainer to your organization. Please send an email to email@example.com for more information.
If you are an early childhood education consultant or trainer, you may be interested in offering the Teacher Talk training yourself. You would first need to attend the three-day Learning Language and Loving It Certification Workshop, and you would then be eligible to purchase the Teacher Talk Leader's Package and offer Teacher Talk to early childhood educators.
This Leaders Package includes all the materials you will need to lead the Teacher Talk training, including:
- A set of three Teacher Talk workbooks
- A Leaders Guide containing detailed outlines for each of the three trainings
- A Teacher Talk Training CD containing PowerPoint slides with embedded video clips selected from the Learning Language and Loving It Program Slides DVD
- Pre-training assignments for Trainings A and C, session evaluations, and participant certificate of completion templates
- A Facilitator’s order form for further Learning Language and Loving It/Teacher Talk resources
Click on the link below to find out more about the Learning Language and Loving It workshop for early childhood education consultants/trainers.
Teacher Talk™ Workbooks and Learning Language and Loving It™ resources
If you find you are unable to attend a Teacher Talk training or a Learning Language and Loving It Program, you may wish to purchase Hanen resources to familiarize yourself with the Learning Language and Loving It approach.
The most comprehensive resource Hanen offers is the Learning Language and Loving It guidebook. This book is filled with step-by-step strategies and examples for promoting the social, language, and literacy development of preschool children. The Learning Language and Loving It DVD may be used alongside the guidebook allowing you to see real life video examples of teachers implementing responsive interaction strategies in the early childhood setting where they work.
You may click on the link below to find out more about the Learning Language and Loving It guidebook and DVD:
Another option is to purchase the Teacher Talk workbooks that are used during the Teacher Talk training series. Each of the three Teacher Talk training sessions has a corresponding workbook that:
- Outlines each strategy from that session with clear instructions
- Provides examples using illustrations and dialogue
- Contains charts, checklists, and questions with space to write your own answers, allowing you to personalize the strategies and think about what you are going to do to meet the individual needs of the children in your classroom
To purchase one or more of the Teacher Talk workbooks, and to view sample pages from each workbook, click on the link below: