Teacher Talk™ Training Series
Teacher Talk™ is a flexible series of three one-day trainings designed to introduce early childhood educators to the Learning Language and Loving It™ approach.
Teacher Talk covers the key principles of Learning Language and Loving It, providing educators with core strategies that will help them create rich and stimulating learning environments for the children they work with.
What Educators Learn from Teacher Talk™
The Teacher Talk Training Series is designed to actively engage participants through discussions, small group activities, analysis of video examples and completion of practical Action Plans that participants take back to their classrooms. Teachers receive workbooks for each session that allow them to personalize the content and think about how they will meet the needs of the individual children in their classroom.
Teacher Talk is divided into three full-day training sessions:
►Teacher Talk™ Training A: Encouraging Language Development in Early Childhood settings
This training addresses how educators can use everyday conversations, play and daily routines to promote the communication and social development of all children, including those with language delays and those who are second language learners.
Participants learn how to:
- Identify children’s conversational styles and the role teachers play in interactions
- Implement six steps to following the child’s lead: Observe, Wait and Listen, Be Face to Face, Imitate, Interpret, Comment, and Join in and Play
- Help children become better conversation partners by using appropriate questions, comments and turn-taking cues
- Use five important steps to ensure that no child is left out of the interaction during group activities
►Teacher Talk™ Training B: Let Language Lead the Way to Literacy
This training discusses the important links between oral language development and literacy, and provides teachers with practical strategies for paving the way for children to read and write.
Participants learn how to encourage and support literacy development by:
- Helping children develop a positive attitude toward the use of print
- Choosing books that match children’s interests and stages of development
- Using book reading as a time for interaction and conversation
- Making print a natural and meaningful part of every day
►Teacher Talk™ Training C: Fostering Peer Interaction in Early Childhood Settings
This training addresses how educators can provide a physical and social environment that encourages peer interaction and creates many opportunities or successful interactions with other children.
Participants learn how to encourage and support peer interaction by:
- Making the most effective use of space in the classroom
- Encouraging a variety of groupings for interaction
- Providing appropriate materials and activities
- Creating reasons for interaction and providing specific coaching
Note: The Teacher Talk Training Series may be offered flexibly. Training A may be offered on its own, or in combination with Training B and/or C, and the trainings do not have to be held on consecutive days. Training A, however, must be completed by the participant before he or she attends either B or C.
Bringing Teacher Talk™ to your Organization
There are two ways to bring Teacher Talk to your organization:
The Hanen Centre can provide a Teacher Talk Trainer
If your organization is interested in hosting Teacher Talk to train its staff, Hanen may be able to send a Teacher Talk Trainer to your organization. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in this option.
SLPs and ECE Consultants who have a Teacher Talk licence may offer the training
Professionals who have attended have attended the Learning Language and Loving It workshop are eligible to purchase the Teacher Talk Leaders Package from The Hanen Centre. The Leaders Package includes all the materials required to lead the training, including:
- The licence to offer Teacher Talk
- A Leaders Guide containing detailed outlines for each of the three trainings
- A Teacher Talk Training CD containing PowerPoint slides with embedded video clips selected from the Learning Language and Loving It Program Slides DVD
- A set of three Teacher Talk workbooks
- Pre-training assignments for Trainings A and C, session evaluations, and participant certificate of completion templates
What makes Teacher Talk such a great option?
- Short and flexible: Training A may be offered on its own, or in combination with Training B and/or C.
- No time constraints: The trainings may be offered over the course of a week, a month, or a year – whatever fits the needs of your organization.
- No additional training required to lead Teacher Talk: Professionals who are certified in Learning Language and Loving It do not need to attend any further training in order to offer Teacher Talk; all they need to do is purchase the Teacher Talk Leaders Package at $105, which includes the licence to offer the training. Note that each member wishing to offer Teacher Talk must have their own license.
- 20% off Teacher Talk Workbooks for licensed Teacher Talk Leaders
- Multiple languages: Teacher Talk workbooks (used by educators who attend the training) are available in English, French, and Spanish.
If you are Learning Language and Loving It-certified and wish to purchase the Teacher Talk Leaders Package, sign in to the Member website, and go to the Online Store.