More Than Words® Certification Workshop for Speech-language Pathologists
Whether you are an experienced clinician or a new graduate, the More Than Words® Certification workshop will enrich the service you offer to families of children with autism spectrum disorder.
The Hanen Centre has committed 40 years to developing effective parent-implemented interventions that support the work of SLPs and help them make the biggest possible difference in the lives of young children and their families. More Than Words is one of our most highly acclaimed workshops, and it’s one that promises to fundamentally change the way you provide intervention to children and their families.
The More Than Words workshop has just been updated to provide you with even more effective tools for zeroing in on the very specific needs of young children with autism and addressing those needs with evidence-based, family-centered techniques. Updates include a new assessment and goal-setting framework, as well as enhanced intervention strategies that target the most important areas of difficulty for children with autism.
Why Take the More Than Words® Certification Workshop?
► Certification to lead an evidence-based, early language intervention program to groups of parents
The More Than Words workshop certifies you to lead More Than Words -- The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children on the Autism Spectrum, a family-centered, social–pragmatic intervention program for parents of young children with ASD. Its goal is to build capacity in parents so they can play a primary role in facilitating their child’s social, communication, and vocabulary development.
In leading the More Than Words Program, the Hanen Certified SLP helps parents:
- Identify their child’s social communication skills and stage of communication
- Use the above information to set realistic and appropriate communication goals collaboratively with the SLP
- Use everyday routines and play activities as contexts for building the child’s social and communication skills
- Structure the child’s environment to increase his motivation and opportunities to communicate
- Facilitate the development of social communication, including joint attention, within pleasurable, extended interactions
- Facilitate the development of imitation
- Use visual aids and print to build the child’s understanding
- Fine-tune their language input to foster expressive and receptive language development
- Facilitate their child’s play skills
- Help their child make friends
To read about the research and empirical evidence behind More Than Words, click on the link below:
► Practical tools and strategies for building functional, social communication
The More Than Words workshop provides the speech-language pathologist with highly practical tools for helping parents understand their child’s challenges and strengths and well-defined strategies for building both social and communication skills. Participants learn how to show parents how to accommodate their child's sensory preferences, provide the structure and predictability that help their child learn, and integrate the strategies that support their child's social interaction and communication into everyday activities and routines. With this support, parents become engaged and empowered.
The workshop includes program resources that can be used to:
- Lead More Than Words® -- The Hanen Program for Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder – The workshop includes all the materials you need to offer this evidence-based program to groups of families. The entire program is packaged, planned and manualized to make it as simple and straightforward as possible to facilitate for families.
- Support home programming and therapy sessions – More Than Words strategies can be easily integrated into one-to-one consultations and home programming.
For a complete list of workshop materials, see the More Than Words FAQ.
► Hanen membership and ongoing Support
The More Than Words workshop registration fee includes a one-year, renewable Hanen membership that provides you with ongoing program support, research updates, access to other professional development opportunities, and a host of other member benefits.
For more information on Hanen membership, click here.
► Earn professional development hours
This workshop is offered for 2.20 ASHA CEUs (Introductory Level, Professional Area) Full attendance and participation during the three days is required. As a prerequisite, there is an Individual Learning Component to be completed before participation in the workshop. This workshop focuses specifically on the More Than Words® Program and accompanying resources and there will be limited or no information provided about similar products or services.
Taking the More Than Words® Certification Workshop
To take the first step toward helping parents achieve the best possible outcome for their child with autism, visit the Workshop Schedule to find a training near you.