SPARK Communication™: Coaching Parents to Use Hanen Strategies
SPARK Communication™ is an intensive 2-day Hanen training designed specifically for professionals who work with young children with language delays and their families (non-SLPs).
Participants learn research-based responsive interaction strategies — drawn from Hanen’s It Takes Two to Talk®
program and guidebook — that are known to accelerate children’s early language development. They also learn
how to coach parents to apply these strategies during everyday interactions with their child to make language learning a natural, ongoing process for the child.
What SPARK Communication Offers
Based on current research and best practice, SPARK Communication offers the framework early intervention
providers need to effectively support children’s early communication development by making parents a
central part of the intervention process. By taking this training, providers learn:
- The four early communication stages and styles, and how the various interactive roles parents play affect their child's opportunities to interact and learn
- The evidence-based interaction and language-building strategies that accelerate early
- A coaching framework for involving and teaching parents so they play a key role in facilitating their
child’s early communication development
- A concrete plan for applying the SPARK coaching framework and interaction strategies with the
families on their caseload
- A set of invaluable resources to support their daily work with families (valued at $109 USD)
- A common language and approach to use with other members of multidisciplinary teams in order to provide consistent and cohesive service to each family.
The SPARK Communication training includes two full days of experiential, hands-on group training that:
- familiarizes providers with the responsive strategies that have been shown to accelerate children’s communication development;
- describes how to identify primary strategies for each child and family based on the child's stage and style of communication development and the parents’ style of interaction;
- addresses the explicit teaching and coaching methods required to help parents apply responsive strategies in order to facilitate their child’s communication development; and
- involves participants’ preparing an action plan to be implemented with the identified family.
Each training participant receives the following resources (valued at over $100) for supplementing their daily work with families:
- It Takes Two to Talk® Guidebook — Used worldwide by professionals who involve parents in their child’s early language intervention, this highly accessible guidebook outlines all the responsive interaction strategies covered in the training.
- It Takes Two to Talk® Companion DVD — This DVD brings the guidebook’s strategies to life with video examples of real parents applying the strategies with children at four developmental stages.
- A comprehensive set of handouts to structure and plan work with families.
SPARK Communication is most valuable to those working within multi-disciplinary, trans-disciplinary and Key Worker models to support young children with language and/or developmental delays. These professionals include:
Who SPARK Communicaton Is For
- Early intervention providers
- Early childhood intervention providers
- Early childhood special educators
- Special education teachers
- Early intervention administrators
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Social workers/family therapists
- Direct care staff/therapy assistants
- Nurses/medical staff
What participants have said...
“I [now] have a variety of strategies that I can use to help the parent understand and carry over.”
“Sometimes, I assume the parents know what I’m talking about – [I learned that I] need to step back.”
“I have learned ways to step back…and coach… instead of feeling like the constant demonstrator.”
“I’ve [learned]… many new ways to present to parents how fun, easy and interactive putting these strategies into practice could be.”
“I can now discuss the child’s communication with parents and give them strategies to help their child initiate and increase language.”
Why Choose This Training?
Whether you’re an early interventionist or an administrator looking for high-quality staff training, SPARK Communication can meet your professional development needs.
- Equips providers to teach and support parents so they can effectively facilitate the communication development of their young children in everyday situations – This training not only provides interventionists with research-based language-building strategies to share with parents, but also offers an effective framework for coaching parents that’s based on the principles of adult education. Participants learn techniques that are known to be effective with adult learners, allowing parents to absorb, retain and generalize the strategies they learn.
- Was developed by The Hanen Centre, a world-renowned authority in family-centered early language intervention – For over 35 years, The Hanen Centre has specialized in:
- developing evidence-based programs for parents and educators that break down the research into easy-to-use language-building strategies, and
- training professionals to use Hanen’s effective teaching methodology for involving and engaging parents in the intervention process.
- Is led by an experienced Hanen Instructor – Hanen Instructors lead intensive workshops for professionals around the world and have extensive experience working with young children and their families.
- Is flexible and convenient – The Hanen instructor comes to your organization or other chosen venue to offer the training on a date that works for you.
- Is cost-effective – No travel or accommodation costs.
- Accommodates up to 30 participants
- Is competitively priced and includes all the materials participants need for the training and for supplementing intervention with the families in their homes.
Taking the SPARK Communication™ Workshop
To start supporting young children with language and/or developmental delays and their parents, visit the Workshop Schedule to find training near you.